While it seems that in some respects the world has been standing still with the Oracle acquisition, there is lots of hard work being done by dedicated engineers inside and outside Sun Microsystems.
- faster start up times
- enhanced ODF 1.2 compliance
- improved MS Office compatibility and support
- over 750 bug fixes
For those of you who are really keen you can download the latest OpenOffice versions from OpenOffice.org. Note: OpenOffice Release Candidate 4 is currently being tested and will be available shortly.
One of the regular items I’m asked is what is the difference between OpenOffice and StarOffice?
They both use the same code base (at the binary level) however StarOffice is Sun’s professional distribution of OpenOffice.org (OOo) and has the following added features and benefits:
- Hot fixes, patches and updates (OOo is full installation).
- Extensions and mail/calendar functionality comes with StarOffice
Software, with OpenOffice.org you have to download each extension
- Sun warranty and indemnification.
- Committed timelines.
- 3 free warranty support calls (in retail).
- Customization, if business opportunity is big enough.
Check out to see if OpenOffice or StarOffice can help you today!
UPDATE: Thursday 5th Feb, RC 5 has just been released. Available from the same link.
UPDATE: Thursday 11th Feb, The final version has been released, with 776 bugs fixed. You can download it from the main page.