Several of the updates to the Hyperion 220.127.116.11 suite are behind the scenes, not noticeable for users, except for users of Planning – with new predictive and chart functionality and Smart View users – who don’t have to upgrade the back end (server services) to take advantage of some:
- Support for 64-bit Microsoft Office 2010
- Planning Enhancements for: cell history – so you can review changes to a cell or range of cells and reverse changes, master composite forms (a new type of form), attachment of multiple comments to data cells, customized confirmation messages and support for approvals security
- Smart View supports Financial Management configurable dimensions
- New VBA features for: HypGetMemberInformationEx, HypGetActiveMember, HypSetActiveMember, HypGetDimensions, HypSetDimensions, HypGetMembers, HypSetMembers, HypGetBackgroundPOV
- New Logging Levels: Extended and Profile
- Excel Formatting enhancements to maintain formats when zooming in and pivoting
- New Extensions for Predictive Planning and Strategic Finance
- Smart Query – which is a new reporting tool which allows users to construct report sets from members and filters. these sets can be combined to create complex queries with joins and intersections of data from the defined data sets
- Changes to the Smart View ribbon to include Panel and Connection buttons for easier, more intuitive access (According to Oracle) to Smart View connections
I’ll spend some more time reviewing the new Smart Query feature next time, so stay tuned.
For more info, check out the Smart View documentation on the Oracle Doc Library:
Bootnote: As with any software upgrade, this one is not necessarily a slam dunk – in that it should always be installed. Please review the Readme paying particular attention to the known issues list – while Oracle have fixed 46 issues in this release, there are 104 known issues across all smart view components.
There has also been the following identified as an unknown issue:
BUG 14055582: When selecting a range of cells, then attempting to use the right click range menu, the right click deselects the range and only the last cell is highlighted. A work around is to select whole rows or columns to perform right click selections.
So review the docs and test, test and test again making sure the enhancements don’t take away any functionality key for your users.